Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Bagels and Schmear

When I lived and worked in Washington, DC, I ate bagels for breakfast regularly-- not every day, but almost once a week.  Between Einstein Bros., Bruegger's, Dunkin Donuts, and the awesome place right next to my office, grabbing a bagel was a quick breakfast for me and my coworkers.  But what no one really thinks about is how one bagel with cream cheese is at least 600 calories.  Now add on a latte or other coffee drink and you're pushing the thousand mark.  For breakfast!  Of course you can always go with the "sugar free" and "low fat" options, but that just means you're ingesting more chemicals rather than fat.  So either way, you're not getting a healthy or sustainable breakfast.  You'll inevitably have a "carb crash" mid-morning, and then be starving again before it's even noon.

If you just can't curb your craving, try Thomas' 100% Whole Wheat Bagel Thins (they also have plain, everything, and cinnamon raisin).  Each full bagel is only 110 calories, with no trans fats, cholesterol free, an excellent source of fiber, and low fat.  From what I can tell on the label, there isn't any dairy in them, but it could be masquerading under a different name.  Typically, most breads have dairy in them, unless you get certain wraps and Ezekiel 4:9 bread.
Even though I used to eat cream cheese, I always felt sick after.  I am lactose intolerant, so my body never reacted quite right to heavy dairy products like cream cheese, sour cream or bisques.  Some people pop a Lactaid and continue to eat those foods, but I've learned to listen to my body about what feels right and what doesn't.  Eating should not be painful.  If it is, then eliminate that food.

But when I'm feeling like I want the old breakfast staple, I'll toast a Thomas thin bagel and use Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese spread.  To add a little pizzaz, I sprinkle chives.  Fresh chives are even better, but my freeze-dried chives from Penzey's do the trick.  Altogether a bagel and two tablespoons of the vegan cream cheese is only 200 calories.  Drink a glass of water or green tea and ditch the highly-sugared coffee drinks.

Tofutti has a great line of non-dairy products, including fabulous Cuties ice cream sandwiches that taste exactly like the old-school dairy version, and soy cheeses.

No comments:

Post a Comment