Wednesday, January 26, 2011

The Vegan BLT

Let's face it: when you change your diet, there are still certain foods you kind of miss.  For me, it's pork barbeque and anything with bacon.  Fortunately, I've created a great dish using tempeh to satisfy any bbq cravings, and for bacon I use vegetarian bacon bits.  I practically eat vegan BLTs every day because they're so simple and they taste delicious!




Instead of mayo, I use Follow Your Heart Original Veganaise, which doesn't contain eggs, dairy products, over-refined sweeteners, fillers, gums, colorings or preservatices.  This is a good alternative for any dish that requires mayonnaise.  I'm not a big mayo or Veganaise person, but you kind of need it for BLTs.

Find a sprouted wheat bread, toast it, and build your sandwich.  I use Ezekiel bread, organic baby spinach (a staple in my house), off-the-vine or Roma tomatoes, and Frontier Bac'Uns.  You won't even miss the real thing once you eat this!  Well, you might.  Bacon does tastes pretty good after all.  It's just not good for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment