Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Pineapple Express

When I became a vegetarian, one of my best friends got me a magazine subscription to Vegetarian Times kind of as as a joke.  But it turned out to be one of the best gifts!  The magazine opened up a whole new array of vegetarian cooking and tips for healthy living.  One recipe that I found in the May/June issue that I had been dying to try, is the Hawaiian-style Sweet-and-Sour Roasted Pineapple and Bell Peppers.  It only requires a few ingredients, and it looks delightful!

I cut up a fresh pineapple using my awesome pineapple cutting tool, and sliced up red, yellow and orange bell peppers and a white onion.  I didn't have brown sugar or toasted sesame oil, but I did have Soy Vay Island Teriyaki.  So I tossed the peppers and pineapple with some teriyaki and threw it in the oven for awhile.  Meanwhile, I had coconut rice cooking in my rice cooker.  (I sort of guessed on how much coconut milk to throw in there).  In the end, I  had created my own version of the Hawaiian dish that was quite refreshing.

The verdict?  Just as tasty as I would have imagined the original recipe to be!  The pineapple was juicy, and not dried out, and the grilled peppers added a nice flavor.  I still want to try theirs, but for a quick alternative, just use teriyaki instead making a sweet and sour sauce.  Also, you  can use the stove rather than the over to cut the cooking time by almost a half.

No comments:

Post a Comment