Monday, January 24, 2011

The Apple of My Eye

The much-outdated USDA Food Pyramid says you're supposed to eat three or four servings of fruit a day.  The newer Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has updated that to the 5 A Day program-- which includes both fruits and vegetables.  Either way you slice it, you should incorporate fruits and veggies in your daily diet.

Sometimes it can be hard or expensive to get fresh fruit.  If convenience is your problem, I suggest spending an extra few bucks on a fruit tray that you would serve at a party, and pick from it all week instead.  This way you get variety, and it's already cut up for you.  Although it's a little pricier, the health benefits are kind of worth it.  And usually the cut up fruit lasts a few days.  If money is your problem, go for cheaper fruits like bananas and apples.

I have to cut up my apples because I have porcelain veneers and I'm advised not to bite into apples.  So, to literally spice things up a little bit, I sprinkle on some organic cinnamon.  It takes an otherwise boring fruit and makes it feel like a dessert.  Bananas are good because they can be added into smoothies or between a peanut butter sandwich for extra potassium.  Berries are going to always be pricier.  And exotic fruits like mangoes and papayas will cost the most.

No comments:

Post a Comment