Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Working On Working Out

I don't really like going to the gym.  I'll admit it.  That's not to say I don't like being active-- because I do-- but I'd rather be outside doing any physical activity.  I'd rather bike along the river, or rollerblade on the boardwalk, or hike uncharted trails.  My perfect workout is something fun outdoors in the company of others.

But we can't all be so lucky.  I live in a state that is cold eight months of the year-- on a good year.  So any sort of exercise requires a gym membership.  For years I've had a gym membership.  I get on a kick the first month and I get so amped to go, and like everyone else it peters out over the year.  So I try to do little things to make it enticing for me: going with a friend, getting a new celeb gossip magazine or good book, or loading my iPod with an energizing playlist.  I figure if spending 99 cents on a new song here and there gets my butt to the gym, it's worth it.

It's also worth it to have the appropriate workout attire.  I remember girls in college wearing really short shorts, with belly-baring tank tops, full-makeup, lipgloss, and a perfect ponytail.  Well, I think we can all agree that's just silly.  But so is wearing a loose-fitting old shirt and baggy basketball shorts-- for women.  Most people will agree that if you like the way you look, you'll feel good too.  And sometimes that means ditching the old novelty t-shirt with pit stains, and finding a more flattering, fitted shirt-- one that covers your stomach.  I always wear black or dark grey cropped yoga pants from the Victoria's Secret Pink Collection or VS Sport, and usually a racerback tank.

Don't forget shoes... The Runners Guide says to replace gym shoes every 300-500 miles.  Unless you're carrying a pedometer with you at all times, most people have no idea how many miles they've ran/walked.  I think a good rule of thumb is to replace them every year, though.   I just bought the new Reebok TrainTone Slimm.  Okay, yes, a part of me wanted them because they match my workout clothes, and I liked the way they look on my feet.  But the other reason is because I am a sucker for marketing.  In this case, the Reebok toning sneakers are said to tighten your thighs, legs and butt.  Regardless of whether that's proven to be scientifically true, I bought into it-- hoping that maybe, just maybe, they will do everything they promise to.  Maybe they won't, though.  But if they can get me to the gym more, then they're already one step ahead of my old gym shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment