Monday, September 5, 2011

A Childhood Favorite Revisited

I hadn't had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in years until this week.  Most people agree that it was a childhood favorite, and then later a staple in college and immediate post-college for anyone on their own for the first time and doesn't know how to cook, or those who couldn't afford much else than a loaf of bread, a jar of peanut butter and some jam.  And unless you're a single man in your twenties (perhaps thirties), you probably haven't had a PBJ since then.

When you think about it, if you use the right ingredients, it's actually a pretty nutritious and substantial meal.  I like to use Justin's Organic Peanut Butter in the individual-use packets, so I can control how much goes on the bread.  I used to buy jars of organic peanut butter, but then realized how delicious it was and how easy it was to eat the whole thing with a spoon.  So I stopped.  This is a much better solution.  I like Justin's Organic Honey Peanut Butter, Original Peanut Butter and Almond Butter.  Each packet is about 180-200 calories, which seems like a lot, but like I said, it's portion control.  Peanut butter is loaded with calories, and it's really easy to spread on more than you need.

I like to use organic raspberry jam for my PBJ, but you can use whatever you want.  Organic is the way to go, even though it still has a lot of of sugar from the fruit.  But at least with an organic, all-natural brand, you know what you're getting.  The second ingredient in all of the Smucker's jellies is high fructose corn syrup.  In some of them, like their Seedless Black Raspberry, the third ingredient is corn syrup.  Yes, high fructose corn syrup followed by corn syrup.  They are artificial sugars that are cheap to use and found in so many packaged items.  I stay away from HFCS because after a lot of research, I believe that it is not good for you.  You can believe what you want to believe and I will not try to tell you otherwise.  But from what I have read, because it's an artificial product, it's harder for your body to process it.  Studies have shown that natural sugars can be broken down in about a day, but it can take a couple days to properly digest HFCS.  Also, a study done at Princeton found that rats fed a diet with high fructose corn syrup quickly became overweight and obese, compared to rats that were fed a diet with natural sugars.  I'm just saying.

Anyway, moving on from that, I use organic peanut butter, organic jelly and then typically my favorite bread, Ezekiel 4:9 Organic Sprouted Whole Grain Bread-- which is kind of expensive, but the most natural supermarket bread I can find.  If I don't feel like spending $6 on a loaf, I'll get Earth Grains 100% Natural 7-Grain Bread, or their thin buns.  Their breads don't have any artificial preservatives, colors, flavors or high fructose corn syrup.  And the bread is grown using environmentally-friendly farming practices.

The bread is a good source of fiber, the organic jam provides a boost of energy and whatever nutritional from the fruit, and the peanut butter is surprisingly the best of all.  Yes, it is heavy with calories, and the majority of the calories come from fats-- which is why people are advised to avoid eating large amounts of peanut butter.  But in moderation, it can lower risk for heart disease, and lower bad cholesterol.  It also has a lot of dietary fiber, protein and potassium.  All of that combined will help you feel full longer and get you through the day.  And of course, it reminds you of childhood, or at the very least, sitting in your sophomore year apartment watching Lifetime movies with your roommates.  Maybe that's just me.

No comments:

Post a Comment