Sunday, June 12, 2011

It's a Wrap

I get asked a lot, what do you eat? The easy answer: same as you except without meat, preservatives, high fructose corn syrup or chemicals.   That is usually followed by, so you just eat vegetables?  Well, yes, but I don't gnaw on a carrot for lunch.  Carrots with hummus, maybe.  I make a lot of pasta and rice dishes for dinner, but I eat sandwiches for lunch. 

I love sandwiches, but I'm not a big bread person.  But you kind of need the bread to hold everything together, so you can't really have one without the other.  Wraps are a better alternative for me.  They're thin and they can be wrapped tightly so nothing falls out.  It's why I like Pita Pit and burritos.  I don't really remember when the wrap craze began.  During the 80s it was white bread, then in the 90s wheat and rye became the frontrunners, and then somewhere along the line wraps became popular. 



My vegan wrap is simple and tasty.  I've tried to master the veggie wrap without any condiments or cheese and it always seems to taste bland.  So I use roasted red pepper hummus as a spread instead.  I then throw in tomatoes, cucumbers, chopped green peppers, sprouts, spinach and avocado.  It's so easy and delicious, and I promise it will actually fill you up.  The avocado contains the good kind of fat and protein, which will keep you full for awhile.  And the hummus will give you a boost of protein.

No comments:

Post a Comment