Sunday, May 22, 2011

Smells like Clean Spirit

I have a friend who I would call an "enabler."  Before you start letting your mind wander, remember this is a health blog.  When we go out to eat she always encourages me to get the sweet potato fries.  And when we go shopping she always nudges me towards impulse purchases.  (I'm a sucker for weird colored nail polish or anything that's on sale in Target).  Well, one day we were in Bath & Body Works and I was drawn to their aromatherapy products for energy, stress relief, and sleep.  I picked up a bottle of the lavender and vanilla sleep pillow mist and before I could even question it, my friend came by and said, "buy it."  Did I need a $10 bottle of pillow mist?  Probably not.  Did I want it anyway?  Oh yeah.

It turned out to be a great buy.  The spray has lavender and chamomile in it, which have soothing and calming effects so you can sleep better.  I actually knew this before reading the bottle.  Back in high school I used to buy aromatherapy candles-- even though my mom never let me actually light them in my bedroom-- and I had a peppermint shampoo that was supposed to increase blood flow to your scalp and promote hair growth.  I also knew that peppermint was known to ease stress.  I kind of went through an aromatherapy phase, that fizzled much like every other one.

Looking back, I was on to something.  Aromatherapy.com refers to it as the practice of using natural oils from flowers, bark, stems, leaves, roots and other parts of a plant to enhance psychological and physical well-being.  The website says that the process of inhaling these aromas can stimulate brain function, or absorbing them through the skin can travel through the bloodstream.  Thanks to the help of multiple websites, I've put together a quick cheat sheet on essential oils and their healing properties.  Of course, there are dozens, but I've only included a few of the popular ones and some of their benefits.

  • Peppermint: increases memory and alertness, relieves stress
  • Eucalyptus: helps sinuses and sore muscles
  • Cinnamon: reduces nervousness, helps focus better
  • Lavender: calms and soothes, can act as a sedative
  • Lemon (and other citrus fruits): mood enhancement, increases alertness
  • Vanilla: calms and relaxes

Essential oils are categorized into groups based on their scents: floral, woodsy, earthy, herbaceous, minty, medicinal, spicy, oriental and citrus.  I included a few of the good things associated with inhaling these fragrances, but essential oils can be used topically, and the natural product (not the oil) can be consumed for other benefits.  Tea tree oil is good for rashes or acne, and camphor is good as an antiseptic to heal cuts.  I also read that cinnamon inhaled or ingested can have an aphrodisiac quality for men, and coincidentally, acts as a natural birth control for women. (I'm not entirely sure if that's true or not.) 

I tend to gravitate towards natural, holistic remedies.  When I had problems sleeping, I refused to get a prescription for Lunesta or try over-the-counter sleeping pills.  Instead, I turned to herbal and all-natural treatments, combined with my lavendar-chamomile sheet spray.  When I had an allergic reaction to whatever it was and my face broke out into a rash, I washed my face with Essence Tea Tree Oil Cleanser that I found at a natural foods store.  I also know some people who eat licorice after eating since anise aids in digestion.  Over the years, I've found that often-- not always-- you can find a holistic remedy to help you out.  And sometimes, it's as simple as a calming or uplifting aroma.

No comments:

Post a Comment