Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Simple Springtime Pasta

When I go grocery shopping, I have to make trips to different stores to get all the things I need.  Ah, the joys of having "quirky" eating habits in the Midwest...  I have one store for Amy's quick frozen meals, and tofu/soy products; another for veggie burgers, nutrition bars and snack foods; another for hummus and Asian foods; and the last one for organic things and fresh produce.  So I was in the fresh fruits and veggies section of my produce store, and I came across sun-dried tomatoes.  I decided I had to have them, and would make an entree based around them.  I bought some organic whole wheat rotini, broccoli florets, and parmesan-- the cheese wasn't intended for me, although I did end up eating it.  Bad vegan, I know.

I threw the broccoli and sun dried tomatoes on the skillet, tossed with some olive oil and a generous amount of Penzey's Tuscan Sunset seasoning (basil, oregano, garlic, bell pepper, black pepper).  I put that on top of the pasta, drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled on parmesan, and finito!  The sun-dried peppers gave it a sweet taste, while the broccoli added a bit of crunch and some fiber and vitamin C.  And the spices and olive oil provided enough flavor to the pasta without overwhelming the rest of the meal.  I'm sure if I had some white wine in the fridge I could add that in, and maybe some lemon juice, and turn it into a primavera.  But realistically, I never have leftover wine!

I was impressed with this dish because it was only a few ingredients, but with a lot of taste.  I can even vouch for carnivorous men-- or one in particular who cleaned his plate and asked for me to make it again!  I plan on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment