Sunday, March 6, 2011

Fighting Winter Skin

I've always had pretty good skin.  Except for the occasional breakout here and there, it's remained pretty clear and hydrated.  I credit the foods I eat, and the way I take care of it with SPF.  But my job and the winter weather have wreaked havoc on my face.  It's become dry, chapped and irritated.

I have to wear a lot of makeup for work.  So my pores are getting clogged, and the products are bothering my skin.  I typically wear MAC tinted SPF moisturizer, which is good for the camera, but doesn't seem to replenish my skin enough.  When I get home from work, I want to wash off all the gunk I've piled on in the past eight hours, without over-drying or scrubbing my face too much.  And then I want to apply a nourishing face cream.

I've used Philosophy Purity face wash for years and I loved how delicate it was.  But I was afraid that with all the makeup I was now wearing, it wasn't cleaning my face enough.  So when I ran out of it, I went to Target and bought something that would be a little stronger.  Big mistake.  I tried Neutrogena Rapid Clear Scrub and it was way too harsh.  It definitely prevented breakouts, but instead caused my face to be red, blotchy and bumpy.  I threw it out immediately.  I also tried Aveeno Positively Radiant foam cleanser, but that one was just awful.  It smelled too perfumey and unnatural, and seemed to bother my face as well.

Ultimately, I went back to Philosophy.  My mother came to visit and brought a little bottle of it, which I started using again, and I realized that I never should have strayed.  It doesn't irritate my skin, and that's really my main concern right now.  She's sending me another big bottle in the mail!

My next problem was finding a great moisturizer.  I used to use Philosophy Hope in a Jar, but I didn't really like the smell, so I stopped using it.  I also used Philosophy's tinted moisturizer, which was great, but I stopped using that one once I started working and needed better coverage for an on-camera job.  I am a big fan of Korres products because of their quality ingredients, but much like Philsophy, you can only order them online if you live hours from a Sephora.  So sometimes, I have to resort to Target or CVS if i need something immediately.  Well, my face was becoming really dry and I figured I could buy a bottle of cheap moisturizer to tide me over until I ordered one I really wanted.  I bought Neutrogena Visibly Even Daily Moisturizer and I hated it.  I don't like the way it makes my skin feel and it smells awful.  It didn't in the beginning, but a week later, it smells like something is starting to rot.  Terrible.  'm really disappointed in both Neutrogena and Aveeno products, lately.

In retrospect, I'm an idiot for not sticking with what I know.  I've used and trusted Philsophy and Korres for years, yet I thought that buying something cheaper and quicker was the better way to go for whatever reason.  I've always read articles that expensive face creams are equivalent to cheaper brands, but now I'm not so sure.  Maybe I just had some bad luck or picked the wrong things, but I'm definitely thinking that it's better to be safe than sorry when it comes to your skin.

I also believe that natural, organic products belong just as much on your skin as they do in your body.  My mother told me about a great article she read on the eco-friendly skincare line Boots Botanics Organics.  The products are made with certified organic ingredients in 100% recyclable packaging, and have received rave reviews.  They've been compared to Kiehl's and Origins.

I decided to try the Organic Face Hydrating Day Cream made from almond oil, which is said to nourish skin and leave it feeling silky, supple and smooth.   I like the packaging and the smell of it-- which is always half the battle-- and I'm digging the way it feels on my skin already!  It's thinner than I expected, but it still feels like it's doing its job.  It's also very reasonably priced for an organic product.  And of course, I like the fact that I know what I'm putting on my face.  I know that the ingredients are natural and that I'm not applying harmful chemicals on my skin.  I'll have to see how it plays out over the next few weeks.

While we're on the topic of skin, I have to say that I swear by Aquaphor Healing Ointment for chapped lips and hands, and I love dousing my body in True Blue Spa Lay It On Thick Shea Butter at night, and True Blue Spa Skin-Quenching Daily Body Lotion Grin & Bear It during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment