Sunday, January 23, 2011

Heart Healthy Hummus

My mother sent me a food processor and I've been trying to find recipes to make using it.  Of course, the easy one hummus.  Since hummus is one of my go-to foods, I decided it might be cheaper to make it rather than buying it every week.   I found a few similar recipes online that seemed pretty easy.



Ingredients:
1 can of drained organic chickpeas
1/4 cup of liquid from the can of chickpeas
3-5 tablespoons of lemon juice
1 1/2 tablespoons of tahini
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 clove of garlic
salt and pepper

Basically, throw it all in the food processor and viola!  Looks good right?  Looks like hummus you'd buy at the store.  Except, I didn't like it.  It didn't taste good at all!  It was actually quite bland.  I'm trying not to get discouraged by my failed hummus attempt.  Next time. I'm thinking I'm going to try to add in roasted red peppers or sun dried tomatoes.  It needs much more flavor, and oddly enough the garlic didn't help.

Check out this news story about making hummus:
http://www.kfyrtv.com/News_Stories.asp?news=43882&yr=

No comments:

Post a Comment