Monday, March 5, 2012

BBQ Black Bean Pizza

The other day I stumbled across some recipes on Eating Well, and the one that intrigued me the most was the Smoky Corn and Black Bean Pizza.  First, it seemed so easy to make.  Second, it uses barbecue!!  I freaking love barbecue.  And as I've mentioned before, it's hard to incorporate BBQ into vegetarian food.  (See: Feelin' Saucy),  So whenever I see an easy recipe using my favorite ingredient, I have to try it.

I altered it a little by skipping the cornmeal and adding peppers and onions.  Also, I don't have a grill, so this was made simply in an oven.  (Who grills pizza??).

Mix together a diced tomato, a cup of black beans, a cup of corn kernels, diced peppers and onions in a bowl.  Take pre-made organic whole-wheat pizza dough and spread 1/3 cup of barbecue sauce on it (as if it were marinara sauce).  I prefer Dinosaur BBQ straight from Syracuse, NY, but since I didn't have much left, I went searching for a similar version in the store aisles.  I luckily found an All Natural Three Little Pigs BBQ Sauce in Kansas City Spicy (it wasn't spicy), that does not contain corn syrup, worchestershire, or "natural flavors."   Put a layer of BBQ on the dough, then cover it with the corn and black bean mixture and throw it in the oven.  After about 15 minutes, take out the pizza and cover it with a light layer of thinly shredded mozzarella cheese. The recipe calls for smoked mozzarella, but I couldn't find that.  Keep the pizza in the oven until the cheese melts.

The pizza was delicious! It's enough to feed two hungry people.  Why would anyone want to use marinara when you can use BBQ?  It's such a better alternative.

No comments:

Post a Comment