Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Broccoli and Edamame Soup

When I say it's cold in the Northern Plains, I mean it's cold-- like the National Weather Service issues Extreme Cold Warnings and the wind chill is -45 degrees.   When the weatherman tells you an exposed piece of skin could get frost bite within minutes, the last thing you want to do is go outside at all.  The first thing you want to do is get warm and stay warm.  For me, that means cranking up the heat, putting on my thickest sweats, and filling my body with something hot.

The other night I experimented with creamy broccoli and edamame soup.  It would have been vegan, except I sprinkled cheddar cheese on top of it to make it look pretty. (Or to make it taste really good).  I found a recipe on Vegetarian Times, and decided to alter it just a bit.  As with everything I make, I never really measure my ingredients.  Fortunately, it worked out in my favor.

Here's the recipe in loose measurements:
-- 2 teaspoons of olive oil
-- 1 large onion, diced
-- 4 to 6 cups of vegetable broth (much like my tortilla soup earlier this week, I used only 4 cups)
-- an entire bag of frozen shelled edamame
-- about a pound of broccoli (frozen or fresh)
-- one can of cannellini beans
-- garlic
-- black pepper
-- shredded cheddar cheese to sprinkle on top (optional)

Heat oil in large pot over medium heat and add diced onion and some garlic.  Let that saute for about ten minutes.  Add in the vegetable broth and throw in steamed broccoli and edamame.  (If you want to, save some of the small broccoli florets and add them to the soup at the end).  Do not throw the white beans in just yet.  Bring the mixture to boil and then reduce heat to medium, stirring constantly.  Let that cook for about twenty minutes.

Then, transfer the soup to a blender or food processor.  I have a tiny one and this is a lot of soup, so I had to do it in batches.  Add in the cannellini beans and blend until creamy and smooth.  Return all the soup to a pot and let it simmer on low heat.  When you're ready to serve, sprinkle a little bit of shredded cheddar cheese on top, while it's still warm.


The soup ended up being thick and hearty.  I was impressed that I could make a creamy broccoli soup without butter or milk.  I think the beans added that creaminess instead.  This meal contains a lot of protein with the cannellini beans and soybeans.  Since it's pretty much just green vegetables pureed into soup form, it's super healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment