Thursday, December 22, 2011

In a Stew

This is my new favorite winter recipe.  I found it in my Whole Living magazine last month and I tweaked it a little bit.  Their recipe called for mushrooms, which I don't particularly care for, and a few other ingredients that I just didn't feel like using.  So I made it my own way and it turned out to be amazing.  I've actually made it twice and I think it's becoming my go-to for an easy, delicious, uber healthy, warm meal.


Vegan Stew:
1 big can of organic whole tomatoes
1 regular can of cannellini beans
1/2 bag of mixed frozen peas, beans, carrots
Italian spices
olive oil

First put a half bag of the frozen veggie mix in a large pot and add some olive oil.  Let those thaw out and cook a little while.  Next, use a food processor to puree the whole tomatoes.  Discard the leftover juice in the can.  Throw the pureed tomato into the pot, add the cannellini beans, and throw in a lot of spices.  I like Penzey's Tuscan Sunset, which is basil, oregano, garlic, bell pepper, black pepper and fennel.  Bring the pot to boil and then reduce the heat to low.  Leave it on the stove for about 15-20 minutes or until the vegetables seem soft, and stir occasionally.  You could leave this simmering for an hour if you wanted to.  I think that's the beauty of stew.

No comments:

Post a Comment