Sunday, April 10, 2011

Berry, Berry Quite Contrary

My boyfriend likes sweets, but says chocolate gives him migraines (I looked it up and apparently chocolate is a trigger).  So I decided to make him something with berries.  A few days earlier I was perusing through Food Gawker and I found a fantastic recipe from Renee Julia.  She's a wedding photographer in Upstate New York, who has a handful of recipes on her site accompanied by gorgeous pictures.  And I must say, she is very helpful!  I emailed a question about the recipe and and she promptly responded within a few minutes!

Renee Julia's Blueberry Bake only requires a few ingredients, and was super easy to make.  I made some alterations, though.  I replaced the butter with Earth Balance, and used only organic ingredients.  Also, I added in raspberries to make it a blueberry and raspberry crumble!

Here's what you need:
1/2 cup of flour
1/2 cup of quick organic oats
2/3 cup of brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/3 cup of softened Earth Balance
3 cups of fresh berries, or two bags of frozen berries

Simply put all of the ingredients except the berries into a big bowl and stir.  You could use a food processor, but if you work those biceps, you can stir them by hand.  Put the berries on a baking dish, and sprinkle the crumble mix on top of it.  Pop in the oven for 30 minutes at 375 degrees, and let your entire kitchen fill up with aromas of warm cinnamon sugar.

It turned out really well, and I was so impressed with myself that I mastered baking from scratch!!  I will definitely try this again, and might improvise with different fruits, like apples or blackberries.  Also, I might make little individual berry bakes instead and put it in ramekins instead of one large baking dish.

If you visit the original website, you'll notice the beautiful photography.  I apologize for my photo, which doesn't do this dessert justice.  I had forgotten to take a picture of it until it was a few days old and sitting in my refrigerator!  Oops.  Regardless, it was still pretty tasty, and relatively healthy for a dessert!

No comments:

Post a Comment