Thursday, March 17, 2011

Veg on the Go

It used to be when I was in hurry or didn't have time to cook, I would rely on Lean Cuisines.  Then I was informed that although they appear to be healthy, there are, in fact, some questionable ingredients.  Still to this day, I'm not entirely sure what they are or why they're bad-- except that they have high levels of sodium-- but I avoid them anyway.  Regardless of whether they're bad or good for the average person, the majority of dishes contain animal products.  I might even venture to guess that all of them do in some way, but I can't say that for sure.

So when I went veg, I started to replace Lean Cuisines and Healthy Choice with natural and organic frozen foods by Amy's.  They have dozens of frozen meals including burritos, pocket sandwiches, pasta, pizza, snacks and other entrees.  All of them are vegetarian, and some are vegan.  I am obsessed with Amy's frozen foods for a quick meal!!  I can't stress enough how delicious everything tastes, too.  They manage keep the calories and fat counts down without losing the flavor.

My favorites are the tofu teriyaki bowl, bean and rice burrito, breakfast burrito, Indian samosa wrap, and black bean enchiladas.  Fortunately these items are popping up in places other than Whole Foods. The only downside is that they are expensive.  The cheapest items are the burritos, which will run you about $3.   The bowls and entrees are around $5.  But you pay for what you get-- taste, quality and health.  For me, that outweighs the cost.  And if you think about it, it's cheaper than going out to eat or hitting up a fast food place.

No comments:

Post a Comment