Thursday, March 31, 2011

My Pesto is the Besto

I had planned to make myself a sandwich for dinner and call it a night.  But as I was cleaning out my inbox and clicking through The Daily Green  emails, I came across some recipes for spring veggies.  I found an asparagus dish that sounded delightful, and since I had all the ingredients, I decided it would be a nice change of pace.

The Asparagus and Spinach Pesto recipe had directions to make your own pesto with a food processor.  I could have done that, but I also happened to have a jar of already made pesto lying around.  Pesto usually has parmesan cheese in it, but sometimes you can find one without it at Whole Foods or Swanson Health Products or another natural foods store.  The Trader Joe's pesto-- although fantastic-- has dairy in it.

This simple recipe calls for whole wheat spaghetti (or whatever pasta you feel like using), pesto (homemade or store bought), spinach, asparagus, olive oil and garlic.   While the pasta is boiling, I sauteed the asparagus with garlic and olive oil.  I threw on the spinach towards the end because that wilts pretty quickly.  Drained the pasta, tossed with pesto and topped with asparagus and spinach.  Viola!  Typically, when I cook for just myself I make too much food and end up eating it anyway.  This time, I made just the right amount... but I was craving more immediately after I cleared my plate!

No comments:

Post a Comment